The Master in Teaching (MIT) program is designed for candidates who wish to complete a master’s degree while earning state of Washington residency certification to teach at the secondary level (middle, junior high, and high school). Our comprehensive MIT program is firmly backed by current research on effective teaching and the promotion of student learning. The MIT program can be completed in five quarters, including the student teaching (internship) and is available at WWU's Bellingham campus or at WWU's Everett site.
Learn more about the MIT program in Bellingham
- All applicants must complete the Graduate School's ApplyWeb application and pay the $100 application fee.
- Within the application you will be prompted to upload an unofficial transcript from each institution attended. If admitted, you will be asked to provide official transcripts.
- Additional application materials are specified below. Applications will not be forwarded to the department for review until all required materials have been received by the Graduate School.
- International Applicants: Please review the requirements for information regarding Degree Equivalency, English Language Proficiency and student VISA requirements.
In order to be eligible for admission to the MIT program, you must have satisfied the requirements for a primary endorsement. Before applying, review the endorsement requirements to determine your readiness to apply.
Additional Application Requirements
- No more than 10 credits remaining in endorsement coursework, or special permission from the department
- Three (3) Letters of Reference
- One letter should be from someone who can attest to the candidate's academic strength in the major—preferably a university professor. Another letter should be from someone who can speak to the candidate's experiences with youth and/or diverse populations. The third letter can be from either of these, or perhaps a character reference; however, letters should not be from family members or roommates.
- Essays; see MIT website for essay guidelines
- Satisfy Basic Skills Requirement