Uploading Unofficial Transcripts
As part of your WWU Graduate School application, you are prompted to upload scanned unofficial transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions you have attended for academic credit, including transfer and study abroad institutions (even if the courses, credits, and grades are listed on your degree institution transcript). If you are admitted and choose to attend WWU, you will be required to submit official transcripts from these institutions before you will be eligible to register.
As noted above, if you are admitted to the Graduate School, you will be asked to provide official transcripts at that time. Please do not mail paper copies of your transcripts prior to receiving an offer of admission. Be assured that our departments will be able to review your application based on your uploaded transcripts. (If you are unable to upload your transcript to the application because your educational institution does not issue transcripts directly to students, please follow the instructions at the end of this webpage.)
The academic records that we refer to as transcripts should provide a chronological listing, by academic term, of all courses taken, credit awarded and the grade or mark received for each. It is helpful to have the grading scale of the institution included when such information is available. Do not submit secondary school records. If your Social Security Number (SSN) appears on your transcripts, please mark out all except the last four digits of the number before uploading the transcripts to your application. To be considered, all documents not in English must be accompanied by English translations from the issuing institution or a professional translation service.
Western Washington University reserves the right to rescind any offer of admission if any discrepancies are found between your uploaded and official transcript[s].
Acceptable transcript formats:
- Scanned copies of paper transcripts produced by the institution.
- Electronic transcripts produced by the institution.
- Web-based academic records produced by the institution and displaying both the name of the institution and the name of the student.
**Please note: Secure PDFs cannot be uploaded in the application. In order to use a secured PDF for the application process, you will need to print the transcript, scan it and save as a standard PDF.**
Keys to Transcript Scanning and Uploading Success:
- Make sure that your file is in an acceptable format (PDF, JPEG, TIF, PNG or GIF).
- Ensure file size does not exceed 5 MB per item.
- Do not scan in color. Use grey scale if possible; otherwise, use black and white.
- To ensure that your file is smaller than the maximum size, you may have to adjust the DPI settings on your scanner.
- Once you have uploaded your file, click the “Preview” button to check that the document you have uploaded is legible throughout. If it is not legible, try again. If your file is not legible it will delay processing of your application.
It is important that all required transcripts be loaded to the online application. Please do not email your transcripts to the Graduate School office unless you have followed all the guidelines listed above without success.
If you are absolutely unable to upload your transcript to the application, please email it as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the body of the email, include your name and the name of the program to which you are applying.
If your school does not issue transcripts directly to students, please have your school send a secure, electronic copy of your transcript to email@example.com or have them mail a paper copy to:
WWU Graduate School
516 High Street, Old Main 530
Bellingham WA 98225-9037