Designed for aspiring superintendents and other school district leaders, such as assistant superintendents, executive directors and program managers. Candidates earn the Washington State initial superintendent’s certificate.
- All applicants must complete the Graduate School's ApplyWeb application and pay the $100 application fee.
- Within the application you will be prompted to upload an unofficial transcript from each institution attended. If admitted, you will be asked to provide official transcripts.
- Additional application materials are specified below. Applications will not be forwarded to the department for review until all required materials have been received by the Graduate School.
- International Applicants: Please review the requirements for information regarding Degree Equivalency, English Language Proficiency and student VISA requirements.
WWU's Initial Superintendent Certification program is offered in Everett, WA.
Additional Application Requirements
- Master's degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university
- One copy of valid Washington State certificate (teacher, ESA, principal, or program administrator)
- Resume outlining your education and professional history
- Letter of recommendation from your prospective mentoring superintendent supporting your application, and indicating his/her willingness to serve as your mentor
- Statement of Purpose: A letter of intent stating: a) Your goals and objectives as a district‐level leader; b) How your understanding of diversity relates to improving learning for all students. Include your understanding of diversity and your leadership experiences related to student diversity in your response, recognizing that your school/district has students with diverse backgrounds. For the purpose of this letter of intent, diversity may include but not be limited to: highly capable, special needs, 504 plans, ELL/ESL, ethnicity and culture, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, socio‐economic status, or other.