Why history at WWU?
Western's History MA offers students an opportunity to deepen their understanding of historical methods and to produce an original work of scholarship. The MA thesis is filed with the library and in an online database available to researchers from around the world.
This program prepares students:
- For positions as researchers, writers, teachers, and curators in a variety of public and private settings
- To teach at the secondary or community-college level
- For study at the PhD level
- All applicants must complete the Graduate School's ApplyWeb application and pay the $100 application fee.
- Within the application you will be prompted to upload an unofficial transcript from each institution attended. If admitted, you will be asked to provide official transcripts.
- Additional application materials are specified below. Applications will not be forwarded to the department for review until all required materials have been received by the Graduate School.
- International Applicants: Please review the requirements for information regarding Degree Equivalency, English Language Proficiency and student VISA requirements.
See the History Department scholarship website to apply for a graduate scholarship by the stated deadline.
Additional Application Requirements
- Three (3) Letters of Reference
- Writing Samples
- Statement of Purpose: Please submit a brief essay (300‐600 words) addressing your qualifications for graduate study, by answering these questions:
- What purposes does the study of history serve, and why do you wish to pursue graduate study in this field?
- Which topic(s), time period(s), and/or field(s) of history would you hope to investigate (and have you contacted the appropriate faculty in the program at WWU regarding your proposed area(s))?
- What specific strengths do you possess that will be applicable to that endeavor?
- What do you hope to achieve while in the program and how does a graduate degree in history relate to your future goals?