The Experimental Psychology program provides an excellent preparation and foundation for students wishing to enter a psychology Ph.D. program. Our graduate program is based on a mentorship model in which each incoming student is paired with a faculty member with similar scholarly interests who will advise and mentor the student on his/her academic progress and scholarly activities. Graduates will have a solid background in research design, quantitative methods, and expertise in a specific research area.
The experimental psychology graduate curriculum provides in-depth research experience within specific domains of psychology; cognitive, social, developmental, and neuroscience. This goal is accomplished through a combination of coursework and research experience.
- All applicants must complete the Graduate School's ApplyWeb application and pay the $100 application fee.
- Within the application you will be prompted to upload an unofficial transcript from each institution attended. If admitted, you will be asked to provide official transcripts.
- Additional application materials are specified below. Applications will not be forwarded to the department for review until all required materials have been received by the Graduate School.
- International Applicants: Please review the requirements for information regarding Degree Equivalency, English Language Proficiency and student VISA requirements.
Additional Application Requirements
- Three (3) Letters of Reference
- GRE scores: waived for the 2021 application season
- Statement of Purpose: 2‐5 page personal statement discussing the applicant's interest in an area related to Experimental Psychology. Address the following:
- What motivates you to pursue training in experimental psychology?
- What theoretical issues, research problems, or application areas are your central interests? Why are these issues especially interesting and important?
- Your current and prior research experience (including the research goals/findings, and your level of involvement, responsibilities, and accomplishments)
- Reason for applying to our graduate program
- Name(s) of faculty members with whom you wish to work. Discuss in detail how your interests, goals, and experiences align with their research program. Note: We strongly encourage applicants to contact potential faculty members prior to writing their statement and become familiar with their current research in order to facilitate appropriate mentorship.