Computer science is helping to shape all disciplines of study, as well as the global economy, and Western's Computer Science Department is at the forefront, training the next generation of computer scientists. We provide in-depth experiences for real world impact.
Our M.S. in Computer Science program prepares students for productive careers in industry, academia, and government. We foster a nourishing environment for teaching, learning, and research in the theory and applications of computing.
Students graduating from our program will have the ability to apply computing knowledge and mathematics to real world problems. They will be able to analyze problems and innovate solutions. Students will master the design-implementation-evaluation cycle for computer-based systems, processes, components, or programs to meet desired goals.
In addition, our program grounds students with a solid understanding of professional, ethical, legal, security, and social issues and responsibilities. In short, we prepare our students to have a profound impact on the future of humanity.
- To educate students in core concepts in computer science
- To provide students with in-depth knowledge, skills, and experiences
- To focus on the applied aspects of computer science, especially real-world projects that use core concepts and expert knowledge
- To engage students in high quality research-oriented projects
- To prepare students for PhD programs and/or advanced industry opportunities
- All applicants must complete the Graduate School's ApplyWeb application and pay the $100 application fee.
- Within the application you will be prompted to upload an unofficial transcript from each institution attended. If admitted, you will be asked to provide official transcripts.
- Additional application materials are specified below. Applications will not be forwarded to the department for review until all required materials have been received by the Graduate School.
- International Applicants: Please review the requirements for information regarding Degree Equivalency, English Language Proficiency and student VISA requirements.
Additional Application Requirements
- Three (3) Letters of Reference
- Statement of Purpose (Optional)
- GRE scores (not required if you hold an advanced degree - Master's, PhD, JD, MD, etc.)