Clinical Mental Health Counseling
The Master of Science program in Clinical Mental Health Counseling involves a two-year full-time package of academic courses and supervised practica, with the option to complete a thesis. The program is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
The Clinical Mental Health Counseling Program prepares students for careers in federal, state, and local clinics, privately funded agencies, colleges and universities, and other mental health counseling positions. The program provides a general foundation in theoretical and applied perspectives of counseling in addition to offering the student a solid background in psychology. Special emphasis is placed on skill development, supervised practica, and on-site internships in various community and mental health clinics.
- All applicants must complete the Graduate School's ApplyWeb application and pay the $100 application fee.
- Within the application you will be prompted to upload an unofficial transcript from each institution attended. If admitted, you will be asked to provide official transcripts.
- Additional application materials are specified below. Applications will not be forwarded to the department for review until all required materials have been received by the Graduate School.
- International Applicants: Please review the requirements for information regarding Degree Equivalency, English Language Proficiency and student VISA requirements.
Additional Application Requirements
General GRE required; GRE subject test in psychology recommended but not required.
- Three (3) Letters of Reference
- GRE scores (not required if you hold an advanced degree - Master's, PhD, JD, MD, etc.)
- Statement of Purpose: Please write a brief essay answering the following questions and requests for information:
- What do you consider to be the primary role of a mental health counselor?
- What experiences in life, work, and/or schooling have you had that are relevant to the counseling profession?
- Why have you selected WWU’s counseling program? What are your long‐range professional plans in the field of mental health?
- Research expertise is an integral part of your training. Please indicate at least two areas of clinical research and/or practice in which you are interested.
To receive full consideration for a graduate teaching assistantship, apply by February 1.
- Fall: February 1