Covid-19 Information

Coronavirus Information

For current Western's COVID-19 operations, see Western's coronavirus information page.

All WWU graduate students should be enrolled in (or have received an invitation for) the Graduate Resources and Information course on Canvas. This course includes general graduate orientation information and extensive COVID-19 resources for graduate students. Contact the Graduate School if you are not enrolled. 

Teaching and Learning at a Distance

Summer Quarter 2020 will be conducted remotely, and Fall 2020 will consist of a mix of in person, online, and hybrid courses. During this time, your TA duties and student habits may change. Western has resources to help students and instructors during this time.

Keep Teaching

Keep Learning

Graduate Research and Writing Studio

Interim Grading Policy

The Graduate Faculty Governance Council has approved an interim grading policy for graduate courses during the pandemic, allowing students to request P/NP grades in some circumstances. See the full policy for details.

Graduate School Interim Grading Policy

Policy Highlights

  • Graduate students may choose P/NP grading for courses that are normally A-F letter-graded, excluding thesis and research courses. Courses graded S/U cannot be changed to P/NP.
  • To elect P/NP grading, submit a Grade Mode Change Form by July 23, 2021. After that date and through August 24, 2021, in case of hardship, a student may request a late change to Pass/No Pass grading by contacting their instructor.
  • A minimum C- equivalent is required to receive a P grade. Programs may specify a higher passing grade, and must communicate that to students by the first day of the course.
  • Beginning Summer 2020, a maximum of 6 credits of P grades may be counted toward degree requirements. All spring 2020 P grades may apply to degree requirements, and do not count against the 6 maximum.

See the full policy linked above for further details.

Thesis and Degree Completion

During the disruption in operations, thesis defenses may be conducted via Zoom or other web conferencing tools.

Hardcopy thesis signature pages will not be required during this time. See Canvas and the Thesis section of this website for further instructions.

Degree Completion Deadlines

Student Emergency Fund

The Student Emergency Fund provides assistance to help WWU students alleviate or minimize an unforeseen financial burden, including financial emergencies related to COVID-19. Examples of eligible needs may include housing expenses, childcare, medical or dental expenses, transportation/travel expense, unpaid student account charges and technology needs related to online coursework for spring quarter. Student Emergency Fund information and application.

Student Health and Counseling Services

The Student Health Center remains in operation during the Bellingham campus closure with virtual visits via phone or Zoom. 

All students on the Bellingham campus who are registered for 6 or more credits will be billed the health services fee and can access the Student Health and Counseling centers. If you are taking fewer than 6 credits, you may opt in by contacting the Student Business Office.

The WWU Counseling Center is currently offering telehealth appointments only. Call their front desk during business hours, 8:30 to 4:30, at 360-650-3164. After hours, call the number and press 1 to reach the after hours service.

Managing Anxiety and Stress

Coping with COVID-19 Related Stress

Health Insurance Information

All graduate students have the option of enrolling in WWU's student health insurance plan. Graduate TA's have their premium paid by the Graduate School and should enroll here. If you are not a TA, you can enroll and pay your premium via the Student Health Center.

Many graduate students also qualify for one of Washington State's Apple Health plans.