Financial Aid


Fill out the FAFSA online

Financial Aid for Graduate Students

Western Financial Aid

The Financial need is determined by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Western's priority deadline is February 15 for Fall eligibility. Scholarship application materials are available beginning January in the appropriate department office or Western's Scholarship Center.

Note: Summer applicants needing financial aid for Summer Quarter must file the FAFSA for the current academic year. This is in addition to the FAFSA for the coming academic year, which begins Fall Quarter.

After admission, summer students wishing to receive summer aid must submit the online Summer Aid Application which is available on the Financial Aid Office website.

Work Study

Student Employment Center

To apply for work study eligibility, you must first check the indicator box on your FAFSA. If you qualify for work study, you will serve as a graduate research assistant to faculty involved in research projects. The typical award amount for work study is equivalent to approximately 15 hours of work per week for the student during the academic year.

In order for the Graduate School to make the best possible match between students' interests / experiences and faculty research projects, interested faculty members write a brief memo to the Graduate Dean describing the research and type of work a graduate work study research assistant would be asked to perform. Faculty may request students by name, but only students who are eligible for financial aid may receive work study awards.

Receiving work study funding does not guarantee you a work study position.