The Master of Arts in Environmental Studies applied urban planning specialization covers coursework in planning foundational knowledge, methods, and applied skills. The degree trains students for planning of equitable, healthful, livable, diverse, and sustainable communities for present and future generations.
This program prepares students with the knowledge and skills necessary to make positive changes towards sustainability in an increasingly complex world. Students are prepared for professional careers in planning agencies at the local, state, and federal levels of government, consulting firms, tribal governments, and non-profit organizations. Our program focuses on serving the needs of diverse communities and we encourage student with a breadth of backgrounds and life experiences to apply.
Accepted students will follow a structured sequence of courses, which is designed as a studio-based applied program completed over one year (four academic quarters). Upon acceptance, students are required to consult with program faculty to align their interests with courses offered and to ensure proper sequencing. Coursework is completed during fall, winter, and spring quarters, culminating in a cohort-based field project during the summer.
- All applicants must complete the Graduate School's ApplyWeb application and pay the $100 application fee.
- Within the application you will be prompted to upload an unofficial transcript from each institution attended. If admitted, you will be asked to provide official transcripts.
- Additional application materials are specified below. Applications will not be forwarded to the department for review until all required materials have been received by the Graduate School.
- International Applicants: Please review the requirements for information regarding Degree Equivalency, English Language Proficiency and student VISA requirements.
Additional Application Requirements
- Statement of Purpose: two to three pages addressing the following:
- Why do you wish to pursue graduate studies in Environmental Studies at the College of the Environment?
- Why are you interested in pursuing a specialization in Urban Planning?
- How has your prior experience prepared you to work in that area?
- What are your future expectations for the M.A. degree with a specialization in urban planning.
- One letter of recommendation (optional)
- One or two examples of previous work, such as papers or projects, academic or professional
- Fall Start Only: February 1