Financial Support

Paying for Graduate School

Sailboats at night with Western campus in background

Estimate costs, find funding, make a plan

How to pay for a graduate education may be one of your biggest questions as you consider programs. Western offers several types of funding for graduate students. We also have information on tuition and fees and living expenses in Bellingham.

a woman in front of a class

Many graduate programs offer teaching assistantships, which provide a stipend and tuition waiver. TA's may teach courses or labs under faculty direction, or assist with a faculty member's course. 

Salmon underwater with sun rays

Some students may be hired as Research Assistants (RAs) by faculty with external funding (grants). Contact the department for information on faculty members who have received grant funding.

a woman presenting biochemistry research

The Graduate School awards funds to assist students with travel expenses related to attending professional conferences.

a woman with long curly hair playing piano

The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs awards grants for thesis research and other graduate student activities.

students walking under fall colored trees on campus

Graduate students may be eligible for federal student loans. Even if you don't plan to take out loans, having a FAFSA on file may qualify you for tuition waivers or work study.

people studying near windows at sunset

The Scholarship Center is your hub for information about searching and applying for scholarships. Some academic departments might have additional information.

people walking outside with fall trees

Your quarterly tuition and fees will depend on how many credits you are taking and which graduate program and location you attend. 

Western at dusk from across the bay

Most graduate students in Bellingham live off campus. Check with Off Campus Living and online rental listings to learn about typical costs.